top of page


Dear Jeff: My husband and I want to get divorced. But, if we get divorced, can I keep the house? — Love My House

Dear Love My House: In any New Hampshire divorce that involves real estate, you have essentially three options. The first option is that you place that house on the market for sale and split the proceeds after the sale. The second option is that you buy out your husband’s interest in the property. And, the third options is that your husband could buy out your interest in the property.

So, you could keep the house if you can refinance the house in your name alone, and pay off your husband his interest in the house.

Jeff Runge, is a practicing New Hampshire Divorce & Family Law Attorney. He is the Managing Partner at Family Legal Services, P.C. If you have questions for Jeff, please email them to All inquiries are confidential.

Contact Information: Jeffrey A. Runge, Esquire Family Legal Services, P.C. Bio: CLICK HERE AVVO: CLICK HERE Direct Telephone: (603) 225-1135 Email: Website:

bottom of page